Friday, May 18, 2012


"On Fridays over here a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes. Unscripted. Unedited. Real." The Gypsy Mama: click here to participate

Today's Inspiration: Perspective
Often it isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out,it's the little pebble in your shoe.
~Muhammad Ali

START:

Yesterday it seems, I was pushing forward, anxious to spread my wings and fly out of the nest, now I am preparing to handle my own child as she spreads her wings and takes her own flight, forging her own path and destiny.  Each of us with a different perspective of what that means, with different goals, fears and desires.

I would love to have known then, what I know now, Time is a temptress, teaser and thief to the young.  He will seduce you into thinking he is infinite and slow.  Time will lead you to believe "there is always tomorrow", the reality is Time is swift, moving at improbable speeds and tomorrow is gone before you realize it. But it is through time, that we grow, that we learn that who we once were changes and becomes greater than yesterday.  His lessons give us new perspectives.

I have learned that my ideals at 21 changed.  Marriage, parenting, adulthood, don't share the same perception in my late 30's as they did in my early 20's, but I have learned to love life, not for what I missed out on, messed up or didn't accomplish, but for each moment that I am given to do better today.  For the guarantee that everything can change and I can be okay.

As much as it hurts, my young one will spread those wings and soar into a future that is as uncertain as mine was, she will land gracefully at times and harshly at others, she will learn someday that tomorrow is a gift and not a guarantee, she will someday look back and be forced to appreciate not what she didn't do, but where she is at that moment.  Hopefully she will have a perspective for life that is purposeful not fleeting.

STOP:


1 comment:

  1. a really beautiful, bittersweet reminder. Sounds like we are seeing our daughters through similar journeys, though years apart. Thx for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete