Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stepping Stones


The block of granite, which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak, becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong.
~Thomas Carlyle


I am uncertain why life, this worldly one, has the incredible ability to shake my foundation so often.  Is that something that dwells within me?  Is it ordained that way?  Does my world shift and twist because I am strong enough to handle it, or because by some inner design, I want it that way?

I question often why so many strange and difficult obstacles cross the path I am on in life.  Wait, cross the path isn't right, block the path is more accurate.  

Psalm 37:23
The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord

In the past, my friends (non-christian) would often tell me that I sub-consciously brought on these strange and difficult events that would block my path and move me to another, often just as bumpy one.  

In the current my friends (Christian) remind me that there is a divine plan from the Man and that at times, he needs me to take another path.

Can they both be right?  Can this partially be His will and my own doom?

I can certainly attest to the fact that my path is never blocked when times are a little tough, I am only thrown from the path when life is finally going really, really good.  And yes, during these really good times, I often think it's too good to be true, which leads me to my own blockage vs His blockage.

I wish I had the ultimate answer, because I don't.   I know that I am tired of getting on solid ground only to have said ground ripped from under me.  If I knew for certain, these times were designed by Him, I could embrace them and know that for sure, there would be good coming from them, but that little voice of doubt, saying on a level I do not ascertain, it's my fault, keeps me from embracing the challenge and change. It keeps me low and my faith dim.

I do not mind life's little stepping stones, we all need them to grow, prosper and thrive.  It's the big obstacles and road blocks that have me wishing I were stronger in my faith and that I had the answers.  

Psalm 31:3
Since you are my rock and my fortress; for the sake of your name, lead and guide me

I suppose in the end, the why or who of life's obstacles doesn't really matter. The obstacles are here, they exist, they must be overcome and moved through.  So I will move off this path, and slowly step onto the next, placing each foot tenaciously on each little stone in front of me, until I get my bearings again.

The only thing I can do, is move forward and keep moving.  I can't look down and I certainly can't look back, for if I do, I am sure to fall off that stepping stone and lose the footing I just gained and that isn't an option.

Isaiah 43:18
Forget the former things; do not dwell in the past

Thank you Father though I don't always know the reasons for the change of course in my life or why of it happening, I am confident that I am not on the path alone.  I trust you to hold my hand as I maneuver the new territory I am forced to explore and I know that you will catch me if and when I stumble off this stepping stone.  I do not know where I am going, but with you by my side I can make it through whatever rough terrain you throw my way!
~ In Jesus Name



No comments:

Post a Comment